It’s that time of year again when we crack out our aprons and our hats of generosity to bake cakes and give generously in aid of Red Nose Day. Already, numerous staff have added those little rubber red noses to the corners of their computer screens, and today, many more have gone a whole lot further by baking a cake to flog for charity.
We know that we do good cake here (and we also know we blog about it a fair bit) with today’s selection including salted caramel chocolate brownies, delightful flapjack, an assortment of cakes from Victoria sponge to tiramisu, Oreo and Red Nose cupcakes, as well as a gluten-free, sugar-free double chocolate avocado cheesecake.
We raised a grand total of £336.16 across our Kent, Coventry and Newcastle offices.
Red Nose Day has been going since 1988 and raises a lot of money for a lot of good causes both here and abroad. Here are some figures that help put this fundraising into context:
- Over 2,100 projects are currently funded in the UK
- Over 330 projects are being funded abroad
- These are spread among 50 different countries
- On Red Nose Day 2013, a record £74,360,207 was raised – and since then…
- Almost 2.5 million insect nets have been distributed against malaria
- Four million people have benefitted from healthcare
- Over one million vaccines have been purchased
- In the UK, dementia charities have benefitted from over £4.5 million in funding, helping keep sufferers active and happy
- Ebola-related charities have received over £1 million – and the aim this year is to add significantly to this
Reading these facts really brings it home just how worthy a cause it is we’re raising money for. We’re just pleased we were able to contribute in our own, small way.