Today we had the pleasure of hearing the roar of a Ferrari 458 Italia as it pulled up to the GForces office. The engine could be heard from the top of Caring Lane as the rosso corsa doused stallion rolled up to the building. Staff were at the windows with their camera phones poised and the mutters of ‘one day’ filled the air. Like a celebrity on a red carpet it wasn’t long before the Ferrari was surrounded by people snapping from all angles.
- Powered by a 4.5 litre engine featuring direct fuel injection, which is a first for Ferrari mid-engine setups in its road cars
- The 4.5 litre V8 in the 458 currently holds the world record for most power per liter in a naturally aspirated production car engine
- Top speed is over 325 km/h (202 mph)
- The car’s interior was designed using input from former Ferrari Formula 1 driver Michael Schumacher, including a new steering wheel design which incorporates many features and controls as opposed to their being on the dashboard, similar to racing car designs
- The car lapped the Top Gear test track in 1:19.1, just 0.1 seconds slower than the Ferrari Enzo